University of California, Riverside

Materials Science and Engineering

Frequently Asked Questions



What is the minimum GPA required?

The minimum GPA requirement is 3.0 on the 4-point scale.

What is the minimum GRE required?

The GRE must be taken within five years of the quarter you intend to enroll, and the required scores are listed below.

  • The minimum GRE score is 300 for applicants who took the GRE after July 31, 2011
  • The minimum GRE score is 1100 for applicants who took the GRE prior to July 31, 2011.

What is the minimum TOEFL required?

550 on the paper-based test
213 on the computer-based test
80 on the Internet-based test

What are the department codes for the GRE and TOEFL?

University: 4839

A department code is not necessary.

GRE Codes
University: R4839 (U.C. Riverside)
A department code is not necessary.

 Is the IETLS accepted?

Beginning with the Fall 2011 application cycle, UCR will accept scores from the Academic Modules of the International English Language Testing System (IETLS) which is jointly managed by the British Council, IDP:IELTS Australia and the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations. The exam must be taken within two years of the time you intend to enroll at UCR. The minimum acceptable scores are: overall band score of 7 with no individual section score less than 6. Please request an official Test Report Form (TRF) of your (IELTS) and have it sent to Graduate Admissions.

What are the deadline dates for applications? 




Fall Fellowship

December 15th

December 15th


June 1st

September 1st


September 1st

November 15th


December 1st

March 1st

For off-cycle admissions (winter and spring), we highly recommend that students apply only if specifically asked to do so by a faculty member. There have been occasions in which students are admitted off-cycle, but such cases are very rare.

Can I still apply if I don't meet all of the application criteria?

The selection of qualified candidates for the Master's and Ph.D. programs is based on an applicant’s qualifications as a whole. Therefore, an applicant's GPA, GRE score, TOEFL or IELTS scores (international applicants only), statement of personal history, and letters of recommendation are all very seriously considered. Occasionally, applicants are considered for admission if one of the above mentioned areas is slightly below minimum criteria. However, this is very rare and only occurs when an applicant is specifically recommended by a faculty member and special circumstances justify the exception.

What documentation will need to be mailed in?

Two sets of official sealed transcripts from your undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) institutions.  Transcripts should also be translated into English if you have attended a foreign institution.  If you already have your Bachelor's or Master's degree we will also accept copies of your degree certificate(s).

Do I send in the Confidential Financial Statement along with my other documents?

No, this is not necessary.  If you are admitted into the program, Graduate Division will request this information from you directly.

What is the department mailing address?

Materials Science & Engineering Program
MSE Bldg., Room 313
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521-0429

Phone: (951) 827-3383
Fax: (951) 827-3419


Fees and Tuition

The current fees and tuition are posted on the UCR Graduate Division website.

How many applications does the program typically receive in a year?

The graduate program receives approximately 200 applications annually.

How many students are accepted into the program each year?

The target is usually 15-20 students per year, however this is subject to change.

How are students funded in the graduate program?

Almost all of our Ph.D. students, both domestic and international, receive fellowships, TA, and Graduate Student Researcher appointments. International students who are pursuing an M.S. degree are not funded.  Well qualified domestic students who are pursuing an M.S. degree are eligible for limited funding.

What type of fellowships can I expect?

Qualified applicants get extremely competitive fellowship packages. These cover all fees and tuition and include an annual salary of $12,000 to $20,000 in addition to the paid health insurance. The only out of pocket expense (except of course for the cost of living) is a miscellaneous campus fee of $348 per quarter.

Does UCR guarantee housing for graduate students?

We are able to nominate admitted students for guaranteed housing. Housing is also offered off campus. Please visit the Housing Services website for more information.

I am self-supported how much money will I need?

You can refer to the Graduate Division's Fees Fellowship and Financial Assistance web page for the numbers.

Is an M.S. degree a prerequisite for the program?

No, the graduate program accepts applicants with a minimum of a Bachelor's Degree.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

College Information

Bourns College of Engineering
313 Materials Science & Engineering Building

Tel: (951) 827-3383
Fax: (951) 827-3188x

Related Links